Verizon Customers experiencing call completion problems.

If you are a Verizon customer having trouble completing calls to a KMTelecom customer or if you have had issues receiving calls from Verizon customers, Verizon has setup a hotline for rural call completion issues – (800) 285-3776.

Note: Verizon also has a special website dedicated to address this problem: Visit Now

Call Our Repair Service (24-hour answering)

507-634-2505 – Kasson, Mantorville, Rock Dell
507-633-2505 – Dodge Center

VVX 300

VVX 400

VVX 500

Customer Administration Portal


Add Users

Auto Attendent

Call Control

Change Extension

Hunt Groups

Incoming Calls


Reassign Users

Virtual Number

Call Recording

Hosted Fax

To join the National Do Not Call Registry, visit or call 1-888-382-1222 (TTY- 1-866-290-4236).

Why won’t my phone work?

Problems with your telephone service can be caused by:

  • Our lines or telephone switching equipment
  • Telephone equipment in your home
  • Inside wiring in your home

When you call our Customer Service Department or Repair Service with a service problem, we will do our best to locate and clear the trouble.  If it’s found to be in our lines, switching equipment or inside wiring covered by our optional Wire Guard Plan, we will take quick action to correct the problem and there will be no charge (unless the damage is due to negligence on your part).

If the problem is determined to be in telephone equipment or inside wiring not covered by our optional Wire Guard Plan, a trip charge may apply.  This charge is for travel costs; it is not a repair charge.  Repair of inside wiring not covered by our optional Wire Guard Plan is available for an additional charge from us.  Call our business office for more information.


  • Check to see if all your telephones are hung up.
  • Perform a visual inspection of all exposed inside wiring and connections for damage and loose connections.
  • If you have more than one jack, check each instrument at each jack to determine if proper operation can be obtained from any jack.  If proper operation is obtained from any jack, you’ve isolated the problem to an instrument or inside wiring.
  • To isolate jack or inside wiring problems, move a working telephone to each jack to determine which location is causing the problem.
  • If you have a fax machine, answering machine or cordless telephone, disconnect that equipment.  Plug a known working telephone into the jack a few minutes later and see if the problem goes away.  If yes, it is likely that the problem is due to malfunctioning equipment that you own.

If the problem is in your jack or the inside wiring, running from the Network Interface Protector through your home or office…

You have three options:

  • Call our repair service.  If you subscribe to our optional Wire Guard Plan, we will repair your jack or inside wiring at no charge.  If you don’t subscribe, we’ll be happy to fix the problem for an additional charge.
  • Hire an independent contractor or home repair expert to repair the jack or inside wiring.
  • Repair the problem yourself.

 Access Recovery Charge FAQs

Printer Friendly Version

Q. What is the Access Recovery Charge?
A. The Access Recovery Charge, or ARC, allows incumbent local exchange carriers such as KMTelecom to recover part of the revenues lost through FCC required reductions to access rates.

Q. What are access rates?
A. When you make a long distance call, your long distance carrier must pay KMTelecom for starting, or originating, the call. In addition, your long distance carrier must pay the telephone company that provides local service to the person you are calling to complete, or terminate the call. The charges that the long distance provider pays to KMTelecom to originate the call and the other local exchange company to terminate the call is referred to as access (as in the access the long distance provider must get to the local network).

Q. What reductions to access rates are being made?
A. In an Order released on November 18, 2011, the FCC required local exchange carriers to reduce the rates they charge to long distance companies to complete or terminate long distance calls.

Q. Why did the FCC require reductions in access rates?
A. The current system that is used by long distance companies to compensate local companies for use of the local network was first established in 1984, after the AT&T divestiture, and at a time when there was no competition for local service. Much has changed since 1984 and the FCC recognized that this system did not work well when there is competition for local service. In addition, the FCC believes the current system may make it difficult to develop and use new technologies, such as internet protocol networks.

Q. Who will benefit from these changes?
A. The access reductions will reduce the costs for long distance carriers, as one of their largest costs is the payments for access to local networks.

Q. So the long distance carriers are getting reductions in their costs, but my costs are increasing because of the ARC? Why is this fair?
A. The access revenues that local exchange carriers receive from the long distance carriers help offset the cost of providing local service. The FCC recognizes that the local exchange carriers will need another revenue source to offset the revenues lost from these required access reductions. Therefore the FCC is allowing local exchange carriers such as KMTelecom to recover a portion of the revenues lost from these access reductions through the ARC. The FCC determined that the customer (you) chooses to place a long distance call and the long distance carrier that is used; therefore the customer should bear more of the cost.

Q. But I don’t make many long distance calls. Why should I have to pay?
A. Local exchange companies incur significant costs to provide service to their customers. The access revenues that local exchange companies receive from long distance companies help offset some of those costs to keep the cost of local service affordable. As the costs are associated with local service, the FCC determined that it was appropriate to allow local exchange carriers to recover a portion of the lost access revenues from their customers.

Q. How will the ARC charge be applied?
A. The ARC charge will be generally applied in the same manner as the SLC charge.

Q. How will this charge appear on my bill?
A. The ARC will appear as a separate charge in the telephone section of the bill.

Q. Is this charge optional?
A. No. The ARC is not an optional charge and cannot be adjusted off the bill.

Q. I didn’t ask for this service. How can I get this charge removed from my bill?
A. The ARC charge is associated with your landline telephone service and cannot be removed from your bill.

Q. Can I complain to the state commission about this charge?
A. The FCC authorized local carriers such as KMTelecom to assess the ARC. The state commission has no authority over this charge so the appropriate body to direct regulatory inquires is the FCC.

Q. Will all customers see an ARC charge?
A. Any customer with a Subscriber Line Charge (SLC) will see an ARC charge.

Q. Which products or services will the ARC be applied to?
A. If you subscribe to local telephone service, an ARC charge may be applied.

Q. Is the ARC a tax?
A. No, it is not a tax. Tax exempt organizations will also pay the ARC.

Q. How much is the ARC charge?
A. The Access Recovery Charge is $3.00 per line per month for residential and business customers The ARC may change over time.